Proferrin Forte is a medical food made with heme
iron polypeptide (HIP), with the addition of folic acid. Proferrin
Forte is intended for the dietary management of iron deficiency. The specially formulated medical food tablets from Proferrin provide nutritional benefits that cannot be fulfilled from a normal diet alone.
Fewer Side Effects with Heme Iron
- Low instances of constipation, nausea and cramping – comparable to intravenous iron 1
- Reduced gastrointestinal distress vs. ionic iron 2
Higher Absorption with Heme Iron
- Increased serum iron 23 times greater than ferrous fumarate 3
Heme Iron Equals Convenience
- Take Proferrin Forte medical food with or without meals 4
- Not required to lay down after consuming
Take one medical food tablet up to three times daily,
with or without food, under the supervision of a health care professional
with prescribing authority. Heme iron polypeptide is a hemoglobin-derived
product and should be discontinued from use for at least three
days prior to and three days during a stool occult blood test.5
Each Proferrin Forte tablet contains 12 mg elemental iron as heme
iron polypeptide, and 1 mg folic acid.
HOW TO GET PROFERRIN FORTE
Your doctor can give you the best advice for iron supplementation. This includes specific dosing instructions and prescribing authority. Use under the supervision of a Health Care Professional with prescribing authority. Your pharmacist may be able to give Proferrin Forte without a prescription.
- Nissenson, et. al. AJKD 2003;42:325-30 (data on file)
- Ghaddar, abstract presented at NKF April 7, 2003, Dallas, TX
- Seligman, et. al. Nutrition Research 2000;20:1279-86
- Uzel, et. al. Seminars in Hematology 1998;35:27-34
- Ostrow, J. D. “Tests for Fecal Occult Blood” in Clinical
Methods: The History, Physical, and Laboratory Examinations.
Walker, H. K., et al, ed. Stoneham, MA: Butterworth Publishers;