Iron deficiency is caused by an insufficient amount of iron in the blood. Inadequate dietary intake of iron can lead to iron deficiency, which can lead to anemia. Anemia is a condition in which blood does not have an adequate number of healthy red blood cells, the cells that carry oxygen to the body’s tissues. Without enough iron in your blood, your body just can’t produce enough hemoglobin, the substance in red blood cells that enables them to carry oxygen throughout the body.
Proferrin® ES iron supplements for women can help maintain iron stores in females with symptoms of iron deficiency or who are performance athletes1. Your doctor can explain how Proferrin® ES works and will be able to determine if you would benefit from this popular iron supplement. Iron deficiency in women is more prevalent than in men for a variety of reasons including:
- Blood loss—Women with heavy periods are especially susceptible to iron deficiency anemia because of the amount of blood lost each month. Bleeding from peptic ulcers, colon polyps, or hiatal hernias can also cause iron deficiency anemia. Over-the-counter pain relievers, taken excessively, can lead to gastrointestinal bleeding.
- Insufficient iron in diet—If you do not consume enough foods rich in iron, you may become iron deficient. Iron-rich foods include meat, eggs and green leafy vegetables.
- Problems with iron absorption—There are disorders that affect your body’s ability to absorb iron. The small intestine is charged with iron absorption, so if you suffer from an intestinal disorder or if part of your small intestine has been surgically removed, your ability to absorb Iron may be affected.
- Pregnancy—Many pregnant women are diagnosed with iron deficiency anemia because the iron in their body must nourish the baby, too.2
What to do for Iron Deficiency in Women?
Iron supplements are the most commonly used method to maintain healthy iron levels in women. Proferrin® ES and Proferrin® Forte provide nutritional support for those who might be at risk of developing signs and symptoms of iron deficiency. Proferrin® brand products provide supplementation with fewer side effects and higher absorption rates as compared to other iron supplements for women.
To order Proferrin® ES iron supplements, visit our iron tablets online order page.
1. K. Suzukawa, et. al., A Study of preventive effects of a high-absorbable iron supplement on an anemia; Prevention of an anemic tendency of Ekiden runner caused by a summer camp. J Physic Fit Nutr Innunol, 1996. 6(1): p. 1-10.
2. Mayo Clinic online. “Iron Deficiency Anemia.” http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/iron-deficiency-anemia/DS00323/DSECTION=causes